Sunday 8 June 2008

Greetings from the top of the glycaemic index




The main reason I'm still in London is Jan's birthday - not that I'm putting off leaving, or anything. We had a very nice meal on Friday at Petek in Stroud Green Road: have been there a lot, and they're such nice people and serve excellent middle eastern food (yum, felafels). Free pink bubbly at the end too, before we went on to see Jimmy C and the Blues Dragons (an old favourite) at the Wishing Well. And then on Saturday I had a wee party at my place for about a dozen people where we had nibbles and a lot of Prosecco rose - and, you'll see, this rather excellent cake (though I say so myself as shouldn't). It's made of chocolate sponge piled up and covered in vanilla frosting. The letters are coloured marzipan. The fork is a fork. The best bit was choosing the sweeties to go on the top: hmm, which sweets look most like dogfood? An interesting brief for food shopping. Maltesers, chocolate brazils, Thorton's vanilla fudge and those crunchy biscuits that Italians like to have with their coffee. I feel I should say at this point that Jan is a dogwalker by trade, and so wasn't offended by any unwanted implications of being given a dog bowl for her birthday.

Once people had digested the cake they started in on the crisps again, Steve the Welsh-German gongmaker (I don't know how else to describe him) made some excellent pasta and we went out for more bottles. All in all a very civilised day: in bed by half ten, pleasantly fuzzy round the edges. Although woke up at 5am ravenously hungry, possibly due to blood sugar having fallen from an incredibly high altitude. 


PS By the way - anyone knows of a cake decoration supplier in North London, let me know. I could have done with some blue colouring, some sugar paste, and a bigger cake board. There is apparently no sugar paste to be had in Crouch End.

No comments: