Wednesday 25 June 2008

The ruins of Granton House



After being rained off the M74 and spending the night at Tebay Services' caravan site (it doesn't matter what it looked like: the rain was so torrential that I didn't see anything of it) I headed for Dumfries and Galloway and the town of Moffat. It's an old county town, and I found a nice Caravan Club 5-van site which was just a field, but in a lovely valley.

One the first evening, I walked Bon down the quiet country lane and saw some ornate gateposts overgrown by trees. Thinking the gateposts too posh for a field, I sensed the presence of a country house - and was nosy enough to crash through the undergrowth and along a half-overgrown drive until I saw something scary and intriguing. A beautiful house, nearly falling down and burnt out. It was three storeys, made of local stone, and Georgian in style.

As I approached, a cloud of rooks rose from the ruins and frightened me half to death (and this is in the evening twilight, remember) but I forged through the garden and went up the steps, over a carpet of broken glass and plaster dust and bits of old furniture, up the old staircase with its cast-iron balustrade (treading carefully in case any of the steps fell through). At the top, I found the most beautiful, and sad, set of rooms. The lath-and-plaster in the ceilings was exposed, burnt furniture was everywhere, but you could still see that it had been the most stately of houses at one time, with high rooms and traditional sash-and-shutter windows. Young rooks panicked and crashed against the walls as we went into each room. The major part of the house, the frontage facing the valley with what must have been the grandest rooms in it, had completely fallen in, right into what must have been the servants' domain below stairs. It was the saddest thing - and very odd, thinking of the lives that must have been lived in the house and wondering why it had been left like that. Really, it was just a shell, held up by an external scaffolding of bolted-together RSJs, so in a terrible mess, and possibly now irredeemable.

I didn't take my camera on that walk, and so there are no pictures - but I don't think I could have captured it anyway, because it was so closed-in by encroaching trees. Once we had had a look round Bonnie was in a hurry to leave, and I felt odd and spooky too, so we left it behind. What I do have is a picture of Moffat House Hotel which is in a similar style, except the ruined house had a large neo-classical portico over the front door, made of red sandstone. And its chimneys made it look older than Georgian: they were ornate, and almost Elizabethan-looking (but careful here: as we go further back, the monarchs of Scotland are not the same as those of England!) I've since looked at the history of Moffat House and it was apparently designed for the Earl of Moffat by John Adam in 1761. And I've since had it confirmed by a historian friend that the ruined house is indeed an Adam house, which might make it contemporary - which explains my feeling about the chimneys being too early for Georgian. One of the main differences between the two houses is that my ruin is on a smaller scale overall, but the portico over the door reaches upwards over half of the second storey - so takes up half if not more of the front of the house in height. The Moffat House portico fits more snugly round the door, and is altogether less imposing.





When I got back to the campsite I asked the campsite owner about it. She said it was Granton House, which had been built as a farmhouse (! rich farmer), was a hotel at one time but then allegedly had been burnt for its insurance and the person who was responsible was now in prison. So it's just sitting there, presumably until it falls down.

It was an odd evening walk, and left me feeling shivery and in need of comfort. I was quite happy to shut myself in the van after that with the heater on and a cup of coffee, and snuggle down and read the paper, and try not to think about the house all empty and ruined, with the rooks flying about inside.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Good day! I just read your post "Granton House.”

First, let me tell you that you’re a great descriptive writer! Secondly, I inform you that I’m the person that owned Granton House Hotel! I DID NOT burn it down, and I’m certainly not in prison!!! The hotel was tragically struck by lightning in 1997, and burned to the ground. Your blog was great to read, it brought back so many memories, some bad but most good!

It is a sad sight as it is, but unfortunately the insurance never paid out (act of god, apparently) and I was never able to restore the property.

You’ll be glad to know though, that I still own Granton, and that I’m in the process of selling it to heritage of Scotland for redevelopment.

Furthermore, it was very interesting to read some of the feelings you got at the property. It was said by many that the house was haunted. Weird things happened in that house!

Judy Delin said...

James! I am so sorry that I only just read your comment - and it's now January 09! I tried to get back in touch via the profile but it's not letting me. Thanks so much for getting in touch and putting me right on the rumours I'd heard, and I am so glad to hear (a) that the story is not what I thought and (b) that there are plans for the lovely house. I didn't get the impression it was haunted, just the lives that were lived there were somehow not fully played out. I don't know if that's the same thing! Anyway it would be great to hear more, so don't hesitate to contact me on judy.delin@yahoo.co.uk.

Berni said...

Hello There.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to add my experiences of Granton House.

I stayed at Granton House for a week during a leaving holiday which was arranged by my primary school when myself and my classmates were in Year 6 in about 1986.

The house was an amazing place, it touched my heart and I have thought of it so often in the years preceding my time at this magical place.

I can recall even at the age of 11 being intrigued by its beauty and mysticism.

Having developed spiritually as I have matured I can still recall having a strange spiritual experience whilst I was staying at the house.

I recall the grand staircase that others have mentioned on this site. Also, if i recall rightly the house was split on the second floor into boys dorm on the right hand side and the girls dorm off to the left. I also recall there was an open center where you could look through windows of the dorms and look down into the lower floor.

I clearly remember our dorm room. It was a giant room. Located as you look at the exterior of the house our room was the corner room on the second floor (with the big windows) I recall the wooden shutters were still in the room and I was intrigued with them.

I remember spending a lot of time in the grounds of the house, mainly round the front area as I think the rear was 'out of bounds'. As a child I was desperate to investigate more. If my memory serves me correctly as you look t the interior of the house to the right was an assault course with a mud pit!!!

There are many little memories I could share about my time at Granton House, but without doubt it is the connection I made with a very special place. As a child experiencing a very difficult upbringing I can honestly say that Granton House and the memories we made there where probably the fondest I ever had. I was the only child which sobbed as we left to come home.

I would love to visit the house again and would love to know if this would be at all possible???

I was devastated to see what happened to this mysical yet magical house but was relieved to hear the no one was hurt.

I see that it has been a considerable time since you wrote on here James, but if you do happen to see this I would love you to contact me, even if its just for an update. My email address is inreb1@yahoo.com

I would love to hear from anyone involved with the house now or past.

Berni - Lancashire

Unknown said...

I visited this house about two days ago, the house is totally overgrown now. I could barely get inside as most of the floors have fallen through. There is still access to a the basement where there are old cider bottles. I would still like to know why there is an old yellow van parked outside the house rotting away.

Unknown said...

I visited this house 3 or 4 years ago with my family as myself and my dad are interested in derelict buildings and I remember being able to walk up to the top floor and down the stairs into what I guessed was a nursery as there were loads of kids toys and I visited this house again today with my boyfriend and it is completely overgrown. We were unable to get in the door as what looks like the entire top floor had fallen in. There was also an old Mothercare pushchair sitting on top of a treestump just as you come in through the sandstone pillars which really scared us. We both thought we heard footsteps and felt as though we weren't alone but couldn't see anyone else. This was probably just us being superstitious but still scary! I have a couple of photos if anyone is interested, my email is avengedkirsty@gmail.com

Matt Crawley said...

My partner and myself visited this site just the other day as we too have an interest in derelict buildings and urban exploring, we also looked at Milkbank House in Kettleholm, which although is ruined, is stunning.

I would love to know some more details of this place, especially in terms of selling the property and land, as there are numerous Grants available to renovate historic properties such as this.

James, If you are still about on here, and are still trying to sell the property, please email me on matthewcrawley@aol.com as there could be some potential interest here.

Unknown said...

If anyone happened to contact the owner of Granton House, could they pass my email on to him and ask him to contact me thanks. My email is warrenjhenry@gmail.com . Lovely story by the way Judy. Cheers Warren

Unknown said...

Tried to visit Granton House again last week. Stayed there for several short breaks 1995-1997. Tried to rebook later in 1997 and now know why I didn't get an answer. A few years ago went along to the house, managed down the driveway and into the house. So sad, it was like everyone had just stood up and walked out. Glasses on the bar. Last week was different. Drove past the entrance and had to retrace. Found the driveway and walked down part of it until we came to a felled tree and lots of vegetation. Caught a glimpse of top right hand corner of house.
Our stays at Granton House (Fawlty Towers) were relaxing and fun. Terry (James?) was so relaxed and funny. Obviously running on a shoestring but so obliging. Light bulbs had to be pilfered from other rooms along with toilet rolls and our fried eggs one morning were done slightly differently - fried in water (no oil, sorry.) Hope you are still laid back and enjoying life.

Unknown said...

Hi! So interesting to read all your comments, my dad’s family owned Granton house before it was a hotel and he grew up there. So sad to see it so neglected and destroyed!

Unknown said...

But the truth is even more interesting . Fawlty towers is correct lack of funds also correct James Volland owning it incorrect, insurance job correct person in prison incorrect insurance payout ..none..happy ending for the family to this day...I'd say no, my brother and father would say yes, my mother has Alzheimers so she cant say anything and me the daughter just no it was a horrible place for me, ghosts and memories of sadness..but I left at 15 so what would I know .. I won't be visiting it and it's now owned by the bank as a listed building

Dr Vicky said...

Hi unknown. I am very interested in buying this property and restoring it back to a beautiful home. I have tried to contact the seller via the buildings at risk register with no luck.

Any idea who I would contact to make an offer?

Victoriamitchell@nhs.net

Many thanks